Employee Engagement: Monday Morning Percolator #31
I invited you to join me in a 5 week strength building and training regime.
You won’t end up with more muscle but you will end up stronger and more engaged in your work.
Each week we will focus on one of our strengths from the StrengthsFinder 2.0 inventory. We will work at developing a greater understanding of the strength, determine applications of the strength for the following week, and review how we performed on the last strength before moving on to the next strength on the list.
I will use my 5 signature strengths as a springboard for you to work on your strengths in the next 5 Monday Morning Percolators.
- Maximizer (Week 1)
- Strategic (Week 2)
- Positivity (Week 3)
- Ideation (Week 4)
- Empathy (Week 5)
Complete the StrengthsFinder 2.0 inventory and use each week to examine one of your strengths. To take the online version of the inventory you must purchase the book StrengthsFinder 2.0 by Tom Rath. Enter the code you will find in the book at the StrengthsFinder 2.0 website.
After you complete the inventory get a list of your 5 strengths and review the following website resources:
- Strength Discovery
- Brief Strengths Discovery Guide
- Action Planning Guide
What are your 5 strengths? What is your first strength?
I have included a free one page PDF form to use for your five weeks of strength training. Click the link below to get a copy of this form:
Use this form to record you strengths, determine applications, and assess your progress.
This week, focus on your top strength from StrengthsFinder 2.0.
For example my top strength is maximizer. According to the book and website:
People who are especially talented in the Maximizer theme focus on strengths as a way to stimulate personal and group excellence. They seek to transform something strong into something superb.
After reading the description and looking at the ideas, I generated the following 6 step focused application of the maximizer strength for this week:
- read and review the descriptions and ideas for my number one strength at least twice this week
- determine what I am doing well and how I can make it better
- reflect on the strengths of my partners and bring out these strengths in our projects
- apply this strength to things outside of work
- raise the bar on projects that are going well
- remind myself of the strength by placing the phrase Maximizer: Take it to the Max in places I will see it frrequently during the week – without reminders we can lose sight of what we want to achieve because of all the things requiring our attention.
Join me on the journey for the next 5 weeks to delve into the details of your strength.
Grow strong along with me, the best is yet to be.
Photo Credit: Pole vault athlete in motion by http://flickr.com/photos/ftcb/100461465/