Employee Engagement: The Why of Work.
Winning book. Dave and Wendy Ulrich wrote the winning The Why of Work:How Great Leaders Build Abundant Organizations That Win. The book focuses on the elements of meaning, abundance, identity, purpose, relationship, culture, contribution, learning, resilience, civility, and happiness.
5 Zingers. Here are 5 Zingers from the book:
- An abundant organization is a work setting in which individuals coordinate their aspirations and actions to create meaning for themselves, value for stakeholders, and hope for humanity at large. (p. 4)
- …when employees find meaning at work, they care enough about it to develop their competence; they work harder and are more productive; they stay longer and are more positive about their work experience. (p. 5)
- Abundance is not found in circumstances or events — in how big a raise we got or how many people report to us. Abundance is found in the value we place on those events and the way we interpret their impact on us. Meaning is not inherent in events; it is made by people. (p. 30)
- As a leader, you create a more abundant organization when you help employees clarify their personal identity and enhance their signature strengths and then help them see how those strengths fit with the goals and values of the organization. (p. 57)
- In Abundance 101, leaders ask, “If an employee did a good job and no one noticed, did it contribute to the employee’s sense of abundance?” (p. 176)
Read it. I highly recommend you dance with abundance and read this inspiring and practical book.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
David Zinger, M.Ed., is an employee engagement writer, educator, speaker, coach, and consultant. David founded and moderates the 2600 member Employee Engagement Network. His personal website offers 1100 posts/articles relating to employee engagement and reached over 1,000,000 page views in under 4 months in 2010. David is involved in the application of Enterprise 2.0 approaches to engagement and the precursor, creating engaging approaches to communication, collaboration, and community within Enterprise 2.0.
Connect with David Zinger today for education, speaking, and coaching on engagement.
Email: email@example.com – Phone 204 254 2130 – Website: www.davidzinger.com