A 5 Zingers Review of Carrots and Sticks Don’t Work by Paul L Marciano.
Paul has placed the carrots in the trash bin and outlined the latest research on what really gets people to go the extra mile. His main thesis is that we all need RESPECT -> Recognition, Empowerment, Supportive Feedback, Partnering, Expectations, Consideration, and Trust.
Here are 5 Zingers from the book:
- When we show our respect for other living things, they respond with respect for us. ~ Arapaho proverb.
- Take the bullet. when things go badly, take the blame.
- Setting goals with employees should be a conversation, not a demand.
- The concept of partnering transcends teamwork and implies a degree of autonomy, discretion, equality, openness, power, and ownership that blurs traditional management-employee boundaries.
- If you want the most out of your people, treat them with respect and they will respect and do more for you.
If you are looking for RESPECT and employee engagement I encourage you to look into Paul Marciano’s book.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
David Zinger, M.Ed., works with organizations and individuals to foster engagement. He is a writer, educator, speaker, and consultant who founded the 3000 member Employee Engagement Network. David wrote, Zengage: How to Get More Into Your Work to Get More Out of Your Work. David’s website offers 1100 free posts/articles on the engagement. David is committed to fostering a movement to increase employee engagement 20% by 2020.
Connect with David Zinger today to improve engagement where you work.
Email: email@example.com – Phone 204 254 2130 – Website: www.davidzinger.com