Here are some euphemisms for how organizations have disengaged employees (read layoffs) from BusinessWeek:
- synergy-related headcount
- adjustment goal
- actions to simplify our organization
- strategic review of strategies
- in Hong Kong a term used is chao youyu “to have one’s squid cooked”
- French managers contemplate un plan social
I think it would be better to use the term layoff or fired and for the organization to admit they failed their employees. Employee engagement will require honesty on the part of both the organization and employees.
Let’s start talking the real talk so we can begin walking the real walk towards full engagement for all.