Alain de Botton is an exceptional author. His recent book is The Pleasures and Sorrows of Work.
Alain is a fine writer and speaker. In this talk he weaves a quick pace, wit, and humor to look at our outlook on success and failure. I encourage you to watch his TED Talk on A kinder, gentler philosophy of success.
On this video he encourage us to:
- Be cautious of our views of failure.
- Stop judging others based on their work role.
- Be wary of self-help that tells us we can do anything and that we suffer from low self-esteem. One sets the other up.
- Reexamine our ideas of success and failure.
- Remember we can’t be successful at everything and there will be loss with any success.
- Be cautious of sucking in other people’s ideas of what success is for us.
- Make sure we own our own measure, method, and meaning of success.
- Remember there is haphazard in all we do.