Engage 5 is a weekly feature of Employee Engagement Zingers. Engage-5 asks leading thinkers, writers, consultants, and others involved in employee engagement to complete 5 sentences.
Read Ana-Maria Calin’s 5 sentences on engagement:
- I define employee engagement as a work-related state of well-being, whereby employees invest very high levels of physical, mental and emotional resources in their job performance.
- Our biggest challenge in employee engagement is to communicate engagement with emotion and back our enthusiasm with proof, so that cynicism can be avoided.
- A powerful way to create greater employee engagement is to promote creation of engagement as a “pass-it-on”, top-down task: engage managers at all levels to engage everyone they come in contact with at work also, not necessarily ALL their employees (impossible in huge teams, or departments).
- I am personally most engaged at work when I MUST not do my work, but I WANT to do it.
- To learn more about employee engagement, I encourage people to find a way of building a bridge between the humanity of employees and the cold, dead rationality of organizations’ needs and scopes.
Ana-Maria is a student at “Politehnica” University in Bucharest, Romania