Dennis Bakke wrote Joy at Work. Here is his top 10:
1. When given the opportunity to use our ability to reason, make decisions, and take responsibility for our actions, we experience joy at work.
2. The purpose of business is not to maximize profits for shareholders but to steward our resources to serve the world in an economically sustainable way.
3. Attempt to create the most fun workplace in the history of the world.
4. Eliminate management, organization charts, job descriptions, and hourly wages.
5. Fairness means treating everybody differently.
6. Principles and values must guide all decisions.
7. Put other stakeholders (shareholders, customers, suppliers, etc) equal to or above yourself.
8. Everyone must get advice before making a decision. If you don’t seek advice, “you’re fired.”
9. A “good” decision should make all the stakeholders unhappy because no individual or group got all they wanted.
10. Lead with passion, humility, and love.
Can we find both joy and engagement as employees?