According to work done by Hewitt Associates and communicated in the Globe and Mail’s Report on Business magazine, Wellington West Capital Inc. placed first in the list to Top 50 employers in Canada.
They were number 2 last year, they did try harder, and now they are number one.
To be the winner Wellington West had to score high on 17 areas of employee satisfaction. Some of the factors that create employee engagement are:
- All the basics of HR are done well.
- Leaders inspire workers and develop winning strategies to attain company goals.
- Employees are engaged both intellectually and emotionally – willing to exercise extra effort as they work beyond the basics.
- The culture is clear and there is a good fit between people and culture.
- There are exceptional relationship between supervisors and employees.
In addition engagement is not just a feel good issue, employees don’t just feel like owners, they are owners. Here is a quote from Charlene Birdsall, an investment adviser in Winnipeg:
Birdsall says that, in part, the No. 1 ranking stems from the fact that Wellington is still private, and advisers and other employees own 91% of the company. “Being an owner, you want to make sure the firm looks good,” she says.
Engagement occurs strongly when we own our work and even own some of the company.
Well done Wellington West – You are a terrific exemplar of the Engaged Way.