Winnipeg Women Wow in Winter Olympics.
The 2006 Winter Olympics have been inspirational for those of us from Winnipeg. Although the ground is frozen, the temperature is frigid, and outdoor skating rinks show no signs of thawing, our hearts were warmed by the performance of Cindy Klassen and Clara Hughes.
Cindy won 5 medals in speed skating and Clara Hughes won her first gold medal to go along with 2 medals from the summer Olympics in cycling and another medal from 2006 in skating and one more medal from skating in 2002!
Now that’s performance.
Although they may be totally out of breath near the end of each race their efforts have been inspirational.
Their performance is the result of the highest levels of physical energy management woven together by emotional, mental, and spiritual energy. They skated with a purpose, their emotional connections with other athletes were strong, and the mental tenacity to keep going when their body was saying stop, give in, quit, is a phenomenal demonstration of the different types of energy working together in women with passion, commitment, and sheer grit.
Their dedication to their sport and to being the best they can be on the oval can encourage each of us on our own leadership path. Here are your leadership questions to answer:
1. What events or performance are you dedicated to in your life?
2. Are you seeking help from others just as Klassen and Hughes received help from various coaches, sports psychologists and trainers?
3. Are you willing to make a long-term commitment to your development and performance?
4. Do you have the flexibility to make changes as Clara did moving from cycling to skating?
5. In the midst of the most important performance of your life can you relax, have fun and enjoy the moment as Cindy demonstrated time and time again during her two weeks of Olympic competition.
6. Are you up to speed in your field? Are you ready to go faster?
Although Clara and Cindy may skate around in circles they offer each of us a sense of direction. These two Winnipeg women have demonstrated phenomenal strength and energy. They are true swift exemplars of Speed Skating Canada’s motto: The Relentless Pursuit of Excellence.